Reality and I had a difference of opinion, we're currently undergoing trial separation.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

They want what!?!

Have I mentioned I hate clients?

I probably have, plus as it's one of the oft lamented pitfalls of being a designer I usually don't feel the need to reiterate it on a constant basis.

I've been designing yet another cover for yet another annual report and I included on it a lovely quote by some antique holy guy, 15th century monk or the like, who had to say; "The path to greatness is along with others". Lovely, inspiring, and totally appropriate since their theme is Teamwork.

I didn't credit the quote since Patricia said it wasn't necessary. Now today I finally get the client's input back and they've gone and decided that they're better copywriters than, well, us and/or the dead guy and have crossed out 'path' and written in 'strategy' and 'others' is edited to 'people'. Just to push the point home that they're a small-minded group of corporate wankers incapable of accepting anything with even a slightly metaphorical leaning.

Apparently they tore the design of Brian, a mind-bogglingly brilliant freelance designer we occasionally use when Darnell thinks that his current designer is too busy or insufficiently talented, into itty little bits since he used a lot of dynamic red and orange arrows to imply movement and flow (they deal with supply chains and fleet financing i.e. getting stuff places) as they though the share holders might believe that this meant that they'd actually had a good year! Which they hadn't, it has only been an average year. Heavens forbid!

Anyway this means the poetic quote has been mutilated to read "The strategy to greatness is along with people." Deep inside my soul howls in agony. I mean is that even English?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like something that has been through the Google language translator a few too many times.

12:12 am, May 19, 2006

 
Blogger Andrew said...

I don't think it was english to start with.

But yes, clients are like rabbits.

They're nervous, very cautious, and make decisions based on sudden input that frequently results in harming themselves.

The other metaphor I found that works is: Clients are like Helen Keller with an need to express her opinion.

2:24 pm, May 19, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robyn, it's the Ticktockman. I happened to think of you, as I sometimes do, and, well, Google is a wonderful thing. =)

I can't stay but a moment but will surely return, read a bit, and catch up. I hope you are well; it's been too long. Cheers,

-TTm

10:47 pm, May 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home